Do you want to make delicious chicken bread at home? Making the dough from scratch is easier than you think. You can have fresh, homemade chicken bread ready to bake with just a few simple ingredients and techniques.
In this article, we will walk you through how to make dough for chicken bread step-by-step. Whether you are a beginner baker or a seasoned pro, this easy chicken bread dough recipe will help you achieve the perfect base for this tasty treat.
What is Chicken Bread?
Before diving into the dough recipe, let’s quickly go over what chicken bread is.
Chicken bread is a savory quick bread similar to stuffing or dressing. Small pieces of cooked chicken are mixed into a seasoned bread dough and then baked.
The result is a moist, flavorful bread that makes a great snack, appetizer, or light meal. It’s easy to make and endlessly adaptable.
Some key features of delicious homemade chicken bread include:
- Soft, fluffy texture – The dough should be light and airy.
- Savory flavor – Seasonings like sage, thyme, and rosemary infuse the bread.
- Chunks of chicken – Bites of tender chicken are scattered throughout.
- Easy to make – Simple ingredients and hands-off preparation.
Now, let’s discuss how to make chicken bread dough from scratch so you can enjoy this tasty bake!
What Do You Need to Make Chicken Bread Dough?
The ingredients for chicken bread dough are likely already in your pantry and fridge. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Flour – All-purpose or bread flour provides structure.
- Baking powder & salt – Leavening agent and seasoning.
- Butter – Adds richness and flaky texture.
- Milk – Helps bind and moisten the dough.
- Eggs – Help the dough rise and lend protein.
- Herbs & spices – Customize the flavor how you want.
- Cooked chicken – Sliced or diced chicken.
- Optional add-ins – Cheese, veggies, etc.
The core ingredients are simple, familiar baking standbys. Customize each batch with your favorite herbs, spices, and mix-ins.
How to Make Dough for Chicken Bread from Scratch
- Mix the dry ingredients – Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices/herbs together.
- Cut in the butter – Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut cold butter into the dry mix until pea-sized pieces form.
- Whisk wet ingredients – Whisk together milk, eggs, and any extras like cheese in a separate bowl.
- Combine wet and dry – Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and use a spoon to combine.
- Stir in chicken – Once combined, gently stir in cooked, chopped chicken.
- Knead briefly – Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until combined.
- Shape the dough into a disc or loaf shape, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate.
And that’s it! With these seven simple steps, you’ll have the perfect dough for chicken bread ready to bake and serve.
Tips for Making Fluffy, Flavorful Chicken Bread Dough
Follow these tips for the best homemade chicken bread every time:
- Keep the butter cold – This helps create air pockets for a softer texture.
- Avoid over-mixing – Mix until the dough comes together to prevent denseness.
- Chill the dough – Letting it rest in the fridge develops flavor and makes shaping easier.
- Use thigh or breast meat – Fattier, moister dark meat works best.
- Season generously – Don’t be shy with herbs, spices, garlic, etc.
- Brush with egg wash – An egg wash helps the bread brown beautifully.
- Bake until golden – Cook through, but avoid over-browning.
With a well-chilled and well-seasoned dough, you’ll get restaurant-quality homemade chicken bread hot from the oven.
How to Shape, Proof, and Bake Chicken Bread Dough
Once your dough is made, here’s how to finish it off:
- After chilling, shape it into a loaf and place it in a greased pan.
- Cover and let rise until puffy, usually 1-2 hours.
- Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle on any seeds or extra seasonings.
- Bake at 375F until golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
The possibilities are endless regarding seasoning, shaping, and baking chicken bread. Make mini loaves for dinner or shape them into balls for bite-sized poppers. Get creative!
Substitutions and Variations for Chicken Bread Dough
One of the great things about homemade chicken bread is that it’s endlessly adaptable. Try these substitutions and flavor ideas:
- Use part whole wheat flour for extra nutrition.
- Substitute butter with olive or vegetable oil.
- Use alfredo sauce instead of milk for a creamy twist.
- Add shredded cheddar, swiss, or mozzarella for cheesy bread.
- Mix in crumbled cooked sausage or bacon.
- Top with sesame seeds, oats, or poppy seeds before baking.
- Make it Italian-style with basil, oregano, and Parmesan.
- Give it a kick with hot sauce or cajun seasoning.
Let your taste preferences and what’s in your fridge guide you. The possibilities are endless!
How to Store and Freeze Chicken Bread Dough
One of the handy things about homemade dough is that it keeps well:
- Fridge – Keep the dough in an airtight container for five days.
- Freezer – For extended storage, wrap tightly in plastic and freeze for 2-3 months.
- Thaw frozen dough overnight in the fridge before using.
- Let dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping if it is too firm.
Properly stored dough makes whipping up fresh chicken bread anytime a breeze. Remember to reproof the dough after thawing or removing it from the fridge.
With this easy recipe and helpful tips, you can have fresh, delicious homemade chicken bread anytime. Making the dough from scratch lets you control the flavors and quality.
Be sure to chill the dough thoroughly before baking for the best rise and texture. Season boldly and add fun mix-ins to suit your taste.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy chicken bread? Bake a loaf, make poppers, or shape mini muffins.
Frequently Asked Questions
What spices go well in chicken bread dough?
Some great spices and herbs are sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and basil.
How long does the dough need to chill? At least 1-2 hours, but overnight is best. This helps the flour fully hydrate for a lighter texture.
What temperature is best for baking chicken bread? Bake at 375F until the internal temperature reaches 190F, about 30-45 minutes usually. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
Can you use onion and celery in chicken bread? Absolutely! Diced onion and celery make great savory additions to the dough or can be mixed with the chicken.
Is chicken bread the same as dressing?
Chicken bread and dressing (or stuffing) are similar in ingredients and preparation. The difference is sauce is typically baked inside the chicken cavity.
What can I serve with chicken bread? Great side dishes include roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, salad, or soup. Chicken bread also makes a tasty appetizer.
Can you freeze baked chicken bread? Yes, fully baked and cooled chicken bread can be tightly wrapped and frozen for 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge before serving.
How do you reheat leftover chicken bread? Microwave in 30-second increments until heated through, or wrap in foil and reheat at 300F for 10-15 minutes.