Have you ever craved that crispy, juicy fried Chicken from your favorite restaurant but wanted a healthier, flourless version you could make at home? Making crispy fried Chicken without flour may sound challenging, but it’s possible with some simple tricks and ingredients you likely have on hand!
In this article, we’ll explore achieving crispy, crunchy fried Chicken without dipping it in flour by combining baking powder and cornstarch. We’ll also cover different cooking methods like air frying or oven baking to arrive at finger-lickin’ good results. Let’s crack into it!
Why Make Crispy Fried Chicken Without Flour?
For a good reason: Fried Chicken is a beloved comfort food – who doesn’t love that crispy exterior surrounding tender, juicy meat? But regular flour-based fried Chicken brings some drawbacks:
- Extra carbs and calories from frying in flour
- Not gluten-free or keto/low-carb friendly
- It can leave you feeling sluggish and weighed down after eating
By using a flourless crispy fried chicken recipe, you can still enjoy the crispy crunch you love while:
- Cutting down on carbs and calories
- Making it gluten-free
- Feeling satiated, not stuffed
It’s a win-win situation! Now, let’s look at replicating that signature crunch without flour.
How to Make Crispy Fried Chicken Without Flour
Making crispy fried Chicken without flour involves just a few simple steps. Here’s an overview before we dive into the details:
- Chicken pieces – drumsticks, thighs, wings, etc.
- Baking powder – activates browning and makes the coating crispy
- Cornstarch – absorbs moisture and adds crispiness without gluten
- Seasonings – garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, etc.
- Oil for frying – canola, peanut, or coconut oil
- Pat Chicken dry and stretch out the skin
- Make a coating of baking powder, cornstarch, and seasonings
- Coat Chicken evenly in the dry mixture
- Air fry or oven bake until cooked through and crispy
Let’s break down each step for making next-level crispy fried Chicken without flour!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Crispy fried Chicken is all about that coating – getting it perfectly seasoned and achieving the ultimate crunch.
Here are the critical ingrate diets you’ll need:
Choose boneless, skinless chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, or breasts. Leaving the skin on will make them even crispier! Ensure the Chicken is patted very dry before coating – moisture is the enemy of crispiness.
This is the secret ingredient that makes flourless fried Chicken super crispy! When exposed to heat and moisture, baking powder initiates browning reactions and carbon dioxide release, creating a crisp, crunchy exterior. Use about one teaspoon per pound of Chicken.
Cornstarch absorbs moisture, seals in juices, and provides crispiness without the flour’s gluten. Use 2-3 tablespoons per pound of Chicken.
Choose salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, and any other spices you enjoy! This flavorful coating is critical to delicious fried Chicken.
Oil for Frying
Opt for oils with high smoke points, like canola, peanut, or coconut oil. You’ll only need about 1 cup for frying.
Now that you’ve got the ingredient list, let’s prep the Chicken!
Preparing the Chicken for Maximum Crispiness
Proper prep is crucial for crispy fried chicken success:
1. Pat Chicken Pieces Very Dry
Use paper towels to remove any excess moisture on the Chicken. Water will make the coating soggy instead of crispy.
2. Stretch Out the Skin
For chicken pieces with skin, gently loosen and stretch out the skin to maximize the surface area that will get crispy.
3. Create Grooves in Thick Pieces
For thicker cuts like breasts or thighs, lightly score the Chicken in a diamond pattern. This helps the seasoning penetrate and gives you more crisp edges.
Now your Chicken is ready for that crispy coating!
Mix Up the Coating
In a large bowl or zip-top bag, combine the:
- One teaspoon of baking powder per pound of Chicken
- 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch per pound of Chicken
- 1-2 teaspoons EACH of seasoning – salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, etc.
Mix thoroughly so all ingredients are evenly distributed. This will be the crispy magic coating!
Coat the Chicken
Place your chicken pieces directly in the seasoning blend and turn to coat evenly on all sides. Make sure you get into every crevice.
Gently pat to adhere to the coating. Don’t drench pieces in watering mixtures – a dry, thick layer makes the crispiest crunch.
Air Fry for Crispy, Golden Perfection
Air frying is hands-down the easiest route to crispy fried chicken glory. Here’s a simple process:
1. Preheat the Air Fryer to 390°F.
2. Cook Chicken Pieces for 15 minutes.
3. Flip the Chicken and cook for ten more minutes. Check internthe al temp of 165°F.for ten. Let Chicken Rest for 5 minutes before serving for optimal crispiness.
The hot circulated air will evenly brown and crisp up your chicken coating – so easy!
Oven Baked Option
Don’t have an air fryer? No worries! You can bake flourless fried Chicken to crispy perfection.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
2. Arrange chicken pieces skin-side up on the sheet, spaced apart.
3. Bake 25-30 minutes until internal temp reaches 165°F.
4. Flip Chicken and bake another 10-15 minutes for evenly browned crispiness.
Expert Tips for Uber Crispiness
Looking to take your flourless fried Chicken to the next level of crispy perfection? Try these expert tips and tricks:
- Use an oil spray like avocado oil on the chickanore coating to encourage browning.
- Let Chicken rest for 5-10 mencouragescooling rack before serving. This helps lock in the crispy coating.
- Serve with crunchy coleslaw, pickles, or hot sauce for contrasting textures.
- Double dip in the coating mixture for extra adhesion and crunch factor.
- Go boneless for maximum surface area to get super crispy.
- Use thighs and drumsticks, which stay juicier than white breast meat when fried.
- Press the coating mixture onto the Chicken rather than just dipping it for better adherence.
Now your Chicken will be CRUNCHY!
Side Dishes That Complement Crispy Chicken
You’ve got the crispy Chicken covered – now complete the meal with fixings that complement the fried crunch:
Cool, Tangy Coleslaw
Crunchy veggies tossed in a zingy dressing perfectly contrast hot, crispy Chicken.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
What better pairing for crispy Chicken than smooth, creamy potatoes? Comfort food bliss!
Buttery Green Beans
Watch out for flying green beans – they’ll fast next to your crispy, irresistible Chicken.
Gooey Mac and Cheese
Is it even comfort food without mac and cheese? Creamy, cheesy noodles check all the boxes.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Chicken
Leftover crispy fried Chicken keeps surprisingly well – but you’ll need to revive the crispiness factor:
- Let Chicken cool fully before refrigerating in an airtight container.
- Don’t stack pieces, or they’ll steam and get soggy.
- Reheat to 375 °F oven for 15 minutes to crisp the coating.
- Or try pan-frying in 1 TBSP oil to restore the crunch!
- Eat within three days for maximum freshness and flavor.
Get Your Crispy Chicken Fix Without Flour
Crispy, crunchy, juicy fried Chicken is possible without a flour drop! Use baking powder, cornstarch, and flour drop-rate seasonings to achieve finger-licking results with less guilt.
With innovative ingredients, creative cooking methods, and these helpful tips, you can enjoy any fried chicken craving in a healthier, gluten-free way. So put on an apron and get crackin’ on some crunchy flourless chicken. Your stomach and taste buds will thank you!
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Crispy Fried Chicken Without Flour
Cooking up crispy Chicken can be tricky without the typical flour dredging. Here are answers to the most common flourless fried chicken FAQs:
How do you make fried chicken crispy without flour?
Use a mix of baking powder, cornstarch, and seasonings as a dry coating instead of flour. The baking powder reacts during cooking to boost browning and crispiness—cornstarch seals in moisture.
What is the best oil to use for frying flourless Chicken?
Opt for high smoke point oils like canola, peanut, or refined coconut oil. Avoid olive oil, which can burn quickly.
What’s the best way to cook fried Chicken without frying?
Air frying is hands down the most accessible route! The circulating hot air crisps up the coating nicely. Oven baking also works well.
Should you marinate Chicken before flourless frying?
Not necessary! A simple seasoning blend makes a flavorful, crispy coating without extra steps.
How can you make oven-baked chicken extra crispy?
Use an oil spray before coating, let chicken rest after baking, double coat pieces, and don’t overcrowd the pan.
What’s the best seasoning for flourless fried Chicken?
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, chili powder, and cayenne are all tasty options. Get creative!
Sand, should you soak Chicken in buttermilk before frying without flour?
No – buttermilk helps flour stick but isn’t necessary for this coating method. Keep everything dry for the crispiest results!
What parts of the chicken work best for flourless frying?
Drumsticks and thighs stay juiciest. Boneless breasts and wings also get nicely crispy. Avoid giant pieces.
How long does it take to air fry flourless fried Chicken?
For bone-in pieces, cook at 390F for 15 mins, flip, then ten more minutes until 165F internal temp. Adjust time for thickness.
What side dishes go well with flourless fried Chicken?
Creamy mashed potatoes, coleslaw, mac and cheese, green beans, cornbread, biscuits – the classics!